Humphrey History Park and Museum
The Humphrey home was first homesteaded in 1878 by John J. Clarke, a prominent Colorado Legislator for his work on water purification in Clear Creek County. He built the main house in 1883 for his bride Sarah. Mr. Clarke passed away in 1912 and Sara sold 160 acres to Denver Mountain Parks who developed the property into Fillius Park. The remainder of the property was sold to Lucius and Hazel Humphrey in 1920.
Lucius, Hazel and their three year old daughter Hazel Lou, named their home Kinnikinnick Ranch for all the Kinnikinnick ground cover growing on the property. Mr. Humphrey was the copy editor for Rocky Mountain News and later the Denver Post. He computed daily to downtown Denver on the Lariat Trail. The Lariat Trail split the original Clarke property between Fillius Park and Kinnikinnick Ranch allowing him easy access. At the time of his death in 1946, The Denver Post estimated that he had commuted over 500,000 miles and dubbed him “the mountains first commuter.” Hazel and her daughter Hazel Lou built a small cabin across from Fillius Park called the Trading Post. They sold goat's milk from the Ranch, fire wood and antiques to campers in Fillius Park.
Hazel Lou passed away in 1995 and designated that the Kinnikinnick Ranch became a museum. Today, the Humphrey History Park and Museum tells the story of the life and times of the Humphrey family and their home, the Kinnikinnik Ranch. The Museum presents living history experiences that engage, entertain and educate visitors on the history and challenges our mountain founders faced through the story of the Humphrey family.
loading the map...